Synalar C/N is a synthetic anti-inflammatory corticosteroid. Synalar C (Clioquinol) cream is a broad spectrum antifungal and antiprotozoal. Synalar N (Neomycin sulphate) cream is an aminoglycoside antibacterial which inhibits bacterial protein synthesis.
- Pharmacological class: Topical corticosteroid (medium potency)
- Contents: Synalar C – Fluocinolone acetonide (0.25mg/g), Clioquinol (30mg/g); 15 g cream/ointment; Synalar N – Fluocinolone acetonide 0.25mg/g), neomycin sulphate (3500 IU/ g); 15 g cream / ointment.
- Mechanism of action: Fluocinolone acetenide is a synthetic anti-inflammatory corticosteroid. Its mechanism of action is related to vasoconstriction and suppression of membrane permeability, mitotic activity, the immune response and release of inflammatory mediators. Synalar C cream/ ointment: Clioquinol is a broad spectrum antifungal and antiprotozoal. Synalar N cream/ ointment: Neomycin sulphate is an aminoglycoside antibacterial which inhibits bacterial protein synthesis.
- Indications: Synalar C/N cream and ointment are indicated for the management of inflammatory dermatoses, including eczema, dermatitis, seborrhea and intertrigo where infection is present or likely to occur.
- Contraindications: Contraindicated in primary infections of the skin caused by bacteria, fungi or viruses and in rosacea, acne, perioral dermatitis, napkin rash and anogenital pruritus.
- Use during pregnancy and breastfeeding: Not recommended.
- Warnings: Treatment of children should not normally extend beyond 5 days. Synalar gel is not advised for children less than 1 year of age.
- Adverse effects: Atrophy of the skin on long term continuous treatment, burning, irritation, dryness, folliculitis, hypertrichosis, acneiform eruptions, hypopigmentation, allergic contact dermatitis, striae etc.
- Dosage and administration: Adults (including elderly): A small quantity of Synalar preparation should be applied to the affected areas 2 – 3 times a day, massaged gently and thoroughly into the skin. When an occlusive dressing is required, the affected area is first thoroughly cleansed, the Synalar preparation is then applied and covered with suitable dressing. In soe cases the application of hot, moist, compresses may be an advantage.
Find out more about Synalar C/N by contacting Glenmark Pharma South Africa today.