Naseptin is a nasal cream that contains active ingredients (chlorhexidine hydrochloride and neomycin sulphate) that work together to eradicate a type of bacteria called staphylococci from the inside of the nose. The cream is applied inside the nostrils both to treat and prevent nasal infections with this type of bacteria.
- Contents: Neomycin sulphate (3250 IU/g), chlorhexidine hydrochloride (1mg/g); cream
- Mechanism of action: Chlorhexidine is active against a number of gram positive & gram negative vegetative bacteria, yeasts and dermatophyte fungi. Like other aminoglycosides, neomycin works by binding to the bacterial 30S ribosomal subunit thus inhibiting protein synthesis.
- Indications: Staphylococcal infections, for prophylaxis against nasal carriage of staphylococci by hospital staff, patients and new born infants.
- Use during pregnancy and breastfeeding: Safety not established.
- Drug interactions: Chlorhexidine incompatible with anionic agents.
- Warning and precautions: for nasal application only.
- Adverse reactions: Prolonged use can lead to ototoxicity, nephrotoxicity and sensitization. Idiosyncratic skin reaction may occur.
- Dosage and administration: A small amount of Naseptin (match head size) is applied to the inside of each nostril; by squeezing the nares the cream is spread to the vestibules. For prophylaxis apply twice daily, for eradication of infection apply 4 times daily.
Do you need more information about Naseptin? Contact Glenmark Pharma South Africa today!